Sunday, August 5, 2007

Lofdahl Family Reunion

We always have a family reunion the fourth Sunday in July, near Axtell Kansas(Marshall County) about an hour and a half away from Lincoln. This church is the church my ancestors helped to start and attended when they came over from Sweden, in the 1870s. John Lofdahl and his wife Charlotte came over from Sweden and settled in Kansas. They had 13 children, one died in infancy. My mother's father, John Lowell Johnson descended from one of these children, Effie Augusta Lofdahl Johnson (the third child). The second farm that John Lofdahl built is still in the family and not far from this church. There is also a cemetary not far from the church where many family members are buried. I have always loved the feel of these places, the quiet of the country around them and the sense of history. Thinking about my ancestors walking and living in this area is amazing to me.

3 comments:

Callie said...

How neat! I would love to learn more about my ancestors and see where they lived. I need to make that a bit more of a focus along with all the other things I need to do. Baby steps!

Audra said...

I think that is so cool - to have a place like that... that has 'your' family history engrained in the town's history! Very cool!

debbie said...

Hi my name is Debbie and my grandfather's name was Eric Lofdahl born 1915 Australia his fathers name was Alfred and mother was Mary A if you have any info on my family could you please contact me at dsletten@bigpond.net.au
Thanks I hope we may be related
Debbie